Freitag, 23. August 2013

Managing Director DACH - Dave Rees



Dave Rees

SThree Managing Director DACH







….”our boss” talks about his career within SThree and his exciting first year in Germany.








1. Tell us something about your background. What motivated you to apply for a job at SThree? 

After studying economics, I started work at a manufacturing company and ended up in the sales department. Although that was never the plan I really liked it. I worked remotely in the field with no contact with my colleagues and no real office, which is why I’ve decided to look for a new opportunity.



I attended recruitment fair where 40 companies were represented.  I remember Sunil Wickremeratne and Steve Quinn both Managing Directors of SThree at the time having little marketing material which was poor compared to other companies.  But it was their vision, their charisma and their idea how to be successful which stood out for me it was so different and impressive. I knew this is exactly what I was looking for. That's why I applied for a job with SThree.

2. What motivated you at the beginning of your career and how did this change over time?

I wouldn't say my motivation has change. I never had a goal to become Managing Director. I only wanted to do the best I could do, it doesn't matter which role I had in this company, I was driven to succeed and I still start my days with this guideline.

3. Which stages in your career have been the most significant ones and why?

There have been a lot important moments in my career. The first big challenge I remember was my first manager job in Glasgow. I opened up a business on my own in 2002 as the only senior consultant which was a terrible period for the IT sector in the UK. Managing a new team without any direct support was a big challenge but made me grow a lot.

The last big significant moment was my relocation to Germany. To get along with the culture and to gain a better understanding of the German market was quite a big challenge.

4. You have been responsible for the DACH Region for about 1 year now.  What is unique about the German business? 

The German market is a very exciting market. There is still a great potential to grow and to develop the reputation of SThree. As a big international company we have a great opportunity and the potential to really make a difference.


5. What kind of cultural challenges does a Welshman have in Germany?

I really enjoy Germany and the culture around it, especially with regards to family and work life balance.
I’ve been very positively surprised about the quality of German standards, I can’t remember having a bad meal over here which is something I can’t say about restaurants in the UK. The only thing I need to get used to is the different culture of service.

But my biggest challenge is the language. I think I already understand a lot but I’m still learning and it’s my personal goal is to be fluent one day.


6. What do you enjoy most in your job?

Working with people. Within SThree you are surrounded by people who want to achieve and change things. Managing and dealing with a team who is always willing make the next step forward is the best thing about my job.


7. What is your biggest challenge?

On one hand my biggest challenge is to grow and evolve the company and to do that equally on our contract and perm business.
We also want to make sure we have a motivated workforce. A company is only as good as the people that work for it. Only if you have a healthy culture internally can you grow externally.


8. What kind of skills does a good recruitment consultant need in order to be successful?

What helped me to be successful is my positive outlook. I always think about the reason to do something and don't think about a reason not to do it.
But unfortunately there is no master plan. Everyone is different. The only tip I can give you is to stay true to yourself and don't try to be someone else to please your environment. Don’t let a setback pull you down. Keep the passion, loose the emotion.

9. What is your strategy for the DACH region for the next 3-5 years?

We have an amazing chance in DACH to achieve great things. We need to accelerate the growth of our temp business as we are still a lot smaller than our rivals, while continuing to push perm. We need to get our propositions clear for all the brands. We want to be the company of choice for clients, candidates and employees.

10. Why is SThree a great employer?

What I appreciate at SThree is that if you are willing to work hard and achieve things the company will reward you. Next to that SThree has become a truly global player in the last years – so if you want to work in Tokyo for example, you could get the chance and the support to do so. I really feel the next 5 years in SThree are going to be incredibly and we will be come a true global player in the recruitment market!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen